Recently was asked to review the APP Askme (AskMe.com) which claims to be the baap of all Apps.
So what exactly is AskMe?
Askme basically has 3 sections
This is supposed be a directory of everything. Eg, you search for mobilephones and it shows you mobile phone shops nearby you(It has access to your GPS location)
A place where you can find deals related to your search history , eg: a mobile shop owner giving away free mobile cover with a nokia lumia 630
The App overall is a combination of justdial +craigslist+groupon . From a concept point of view , I love it . It is simple, clean interface and has the potential for becoming a one stop app for everything you need.
Real world test
So I decided to check how it fairs for real world scenarios. I let the APP use my GPS and auto detect my location . Then I searched for dentists and here are the results
- The App simply took my city as my location and did not bother to pick up my locality . Which I think is a big miss. Why should I search my locality when I have my GPS on
- The results were relevant ie: dentists and dental hospitals
- If I use the default location as set by the APP, it gave me results for dentists at teh other end of the city. I live in a place where you find a dentist at almost every KM stretch, still the app suggested me a dentist 30 Km away . Useless result
- The top two dentists were marker as premium, which basically means advertisements . Nevertheless not such a big issue if other results were relevant(which were not)
- I tried entering the locality , but that locality had only 2 listed dentists, i expected that it would at least list dentists in that locality and nearby locality since the results were so less
Then I searched for a very high queryshare term
- My entire first page of result set was filled with premium Ads. I understand that you need ads, but not the full first page. That is insane . I had to scroll down , which reloads the page(it is a dynamic load) .
- Again, nearest mobile shops were too far away, when there is one right next to my lane
- Some deals were incomprehensible , I saw a “deal” where a pic of a mobile phone along with its name and name of the shop were written. Where was the deal? It did not even mention the price. I see no point in such a deal.
It is a powerful idea to combine all these context specific services , but the App at the moment seriously lacks in data quality . It is not Baap of all Apps yet, but it can be
If you are one of the Product Manager working on this and want some user feedback , this section is for you
- What is this whole idea about not detecting my locality ? You cannot succeed until you suggest me ads and things near me. It is like the number 1 feature a user expects . (My Location: Hyderabad, GPS signal strength: Full)
- You need users first and then get ads. Do you see whatsapp giving ads? Hold on , do not go overboard with ads so early. First get the people hooked.
- Data quality: At least the deals section needs to be very clear
So end: Is not Baap of all Apps, but can be.
You can try the App here